Sunday, February 28, 2010

Daily A~Musing #28: New Undies and Socks

Okay, so how many of you girls out there had days-of-the-week panties when you were knee-high to a praying mantis?  You know...pink ones that said Monday, yellow ones that said Tuesday, mint green ones that said Wednesday, and so on....


Raise your hands while I count...


one...two...twelve...thirty-seven...


you realize of course that this was our mothers' way of making sure we changed our nasty underpants, right?


Heh heh, Mom...I was Soooooooo ONto you !!!!


Those of us who were wee ones in the 1970's likely remember these classics:






Oh, you KNOW there was no stopping a girl in her Wonder Woman Underoos!  She leapt off lunch tables, lassoed liars on the playground and pretended to fly her invisible jet into the classroom (which usually led to her NOT being allowed out next recess for causing such a ruckus.) 

Confession:
My mom always bought my unmentionables for me until I was about 18.  I'm not really sure why I didn't buy them myself, but it was just a nurturing mom-sorta-thing, I guess.  Which is also probably why I still consider it such a treat to have fresh new undergarments and socks.  I remember once, when I was in grad school, working full time and taking care of a family of my own, I called my mom, sobbing and complaining about how stressed out I was, how much weight I was gaining and how I didn't even have time enough to buy myself some new underwear.  
She sent me some the next week.  Nothin' says loving like yer mom sending you fresh undies.  

(Strange, I know.  But, if you didn't know that about me already, you clearly have NOT been paying attention.)
The weirdest thing I guess is that when I buy my kid or my mate undies and socks, they probably don't even know that it's my way of showin' a lil love.  
SHHHHHHH!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment